Saturday, March 3, 2012

40 Days in the Desert


This year, I am so very glad that Lent is finally here! I have been eagerly awaiting Lent and I feel that I need it more than ever.






I remember when Lent was still about 3 weeks away, I was already thinking about the resolutions I was going to make. I knew that this year I wanted my resolutions to be different--not my usual giving up of sweets etc. And I wanted to go into the desert with Jesus and persevere in prayer and fasting--and I wanted to finish strong and finish in victory with the risen Christ on Easter. It is now 12 days into the Lenten journey and I am definitely feeling a spiritual as well as physical "crunch." And boy it feels good. It's kind of like that good feeling you get when exercising your muscles, especially if you haven't worked out in a while. It feels great to feel in control of my body and the wants/desires of my human nature. I am overcoming temptations and following my spirit and not my flesh. I am offering up my prayer and fasting for the conversion of sinners, especially the sinners in my family, and also for the conversion of our country, especially our president and his administration.





I have been following the HHS mandate happenings and I must admit the whole situation makes me very, very sad. It is just so unfair and very unbelievable. I never knew our country would be facing such an issue.  I never would have thought that our democratic country founded on judeo-christian principles would act in direct violation to the 1st amendment of the Constitution. I never would have thought that our country's leadership would be so ignorant of the rights of its citizens: The rights of first LIFE, second LIBERTY, and third pursuit of HAPPINESS. Apparently, the leadership thinks the 3rd (pursuit of happiness, especiallly women's happiness and comfort) is more important than LIFE and LIBERTY.  They are neither protecting LIFE in the womb, nor exercising LIBERTY (FREEDOM OF RELIGION). I never would have thought that the government would be meddling in my church and telling me to do something that directly contradicts my faith. It's all very disheartening. I am just so glad that there are so many faithful Catholics out there who are standing united and ready to defend our faith and our Church.
I am so glad there are so many great bishops and priests out there who are educating their sheep on this issue and letting their parishioners know that they WILL NOT CONFORM, no matter what. It has been so inspiring for me to see that there are Catholics out there that are not simply lukewarm 'cafeteria Catholics' or 'Catholics by name only.'  I guess the positive outcome of this whole HHS mandate issue in my life has been that I feel so much more loyal to the Catholic Church now and very proud to be part of the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church. I feel like I'm part of something truly unique and truly invaluable.

My faith and relationship with Christ has also been growing and becoming more intimate thanks to attending Eucharistic Adoration at my parish every Thursday. I have now gone to Adoration for about 5 or 6 weeks in a row and I absolutely love it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the prayer I say every week at Eucharistic Adoration; I love saying this prayer:

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;

Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them work
Duty's bidding, never shirk;

Take my feet and let them be
Swift and dutiful to Thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
Your Eternal Love my King;

Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

Take my intellect, and use
Every power as You shall choose,

Take my heart; it is You own;
Let it be Your royal throne,

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Your feet its treasure store.

Take my will, All that is mine
To Be forever only Thine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though we (Catholics) are now being ridiculed and laughed at, let's remember that Jesus was persecuted also. Remember that suffering is redemptive and that after suffering come great graces.
God Bless everyone in the remainder of the Lenten journey.  Let us come out of this Lent VICTORIOUS and ALIVE like the RISEN CHRIST on Easter. 

Aren't you so glad that Jesus lets you be with Him in the desert? I sure am.


5 comments:

  1. I've also quit FB recently. I deactivated my account. I spend too much time on there and personally there are just too many stupid people on there that like to cause drama in my life. Too bad, because it was a place for me to vent and keep updated in everyone's life. If you need me, text or call me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw this is Joyce. Lol, in case you didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, welcome to blogger Joyce!! I gave up facebook for lent for 40 days and I'm being productive instead! :-) I miss you Joycee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind about the welcome, I see that you have been on blogger longer than I! I never knew that Joyce! Glad to have connected on here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I've been on blogger for a while. I just don't write as often as I should. No more facebook for me. I missed you too Aggy!

    ReplyDelete