Friday, December 14, 2012

7 QUICK TAKES - Religious Freedom / Pharmacy School / Cardinal George

#1 WONDERFUL news

...not only for Catholic Pharmacists and pharmacy students, but for RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IN GENERAL!! I wrote about this a few months back (read it here) but the decision has now been FINALIZED...OMG OMG OMG I am so excited that good things are happening in terms of conscience rights and religious liberty. Now, we just have to overthrow Obamacare and my happiness will be complete!

Read the full article below or simply read the excerpts underneath. Basically: Catholic/Christian pharmacists or any pharmacists who believe in the sanctity of human life, are no longer obliged under Illinois Law to dispense Plan B, which is an abortifacient. For 7 long years, the law was that a pharmacist COULD NOT REFUSE to dispense/sell this drug to ANY PATIENT who wanted to purchase it at the pharmacy counter. Oh, and this drug is available without a prescription for 17+ year olds. It's as easy as walking up to the pharmacy counter.

Conscience Victory in Final Illinois Pharmacist Ruling
Religious-liberty advocates hail the end of a seven-year legal battle against provision of abortion drugs as a major triumph for conscience rights.


This decision is a great victory for religious freedom,” said Mark Rienzi, senior counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which has represented the pharmacists in the case for several years.


Pharmacists who did not comply with the rule were threatened with fines and the loss of professional licenses.  The governor did not allow a religious exemption to the rule, saying that pharmacists who were morally opposed to the drug should find a different profession. 

^^^ (Isn't this outrageous and unthinkable and scary??? O my Lord!!! stupid governor Blagojevich...oh well, he's in jail now anyways. Ha)

Several pharmacists and pharmacies that morally object to cooperating in the destruction of human life filed a lawsuit challenging the rule.

The suit argued that the rule violated state religious-liberty laws, health-care conscience protections and the religious-freedom guarantees in the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
It charged that the rule unfairly discriminated against health-care professionals seeking to contribute to society according to their principles by forcing them to choose between their constitutionally protected rights and their livelihood.




#2 The offending drug






Plan B aka emergency contraception, which causes abortion of a newly formed human embryo, after its conception.







#3 A picture of me on the job

....as a student pharmacist aka pharmacy intern. My friend surprised me with this one. I look as if I was amused by that bottle of alcohol....which is for cleaning purposes by the way :-)


Add caption

#4 This is what I was studying yesterday 

from 3pm to 3:30am and this morning from 8am to 1pm. I had my first exam in my "Chemical Principles of Drug Action" aka Medicinal Chemistry class. It was a scary 40 pages of linking chemical structures with pharmacological drug properties, actions, and side effects. Looks fun, huh??



#5 Going along with pharmacy school....

 somebody in my class posted this on facebook and I thought it was pretty funny. Pharmacy school sure isn't for mediocre students, nor for the weak-willed. It is tough and consumes your life! 


#6 GUESS WHO???






Chicago's very own Francis Cardinal George. Sooooo proud of to be a part of his archdiocese.

WHAT AN AMAZING MAN

 We've been praying for him lately with my adoration group because he has been sick.


Saints walk among us :-)

 

#7 If you are reading this, introduce yourself in the comments.

I set up this blog last year but it's been pretty abandoned (only about 1-2 posts per month) due to my crazy pharmacy school schedule and working and such. But I'd love to meet some new bloggers and make new relationships.


Yours in Christ,
Agnes

6 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING news Agnes! Hopefully that will pave the way to more changes for religious freedom for Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! It is so frustrating that so many powerful figures seem to have no problem with forcing others to violate their consciences... I am so glad to hear that this ruling was finalized!

    Your #7 is a good idea--I'll have to remember it for next Friday! I'm a fairly recently-married (going on 18 months!) mom to a five-month-old little boy; we live in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the introduction Rosalie!!! I have a cousin who recently started studying at the University of Alaska. I have always wanted to go there! Maybe one day.... I will definitely check out your blog!

      Delete
  3. A little embarrassed to find myself commenting in your post from 2012... but you asked me to! ;) I am always so interested in talking to Catholics in the medical profession. It must be so frustrating sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete