Friday, November 1, 2013

7QT #19: Fasting, Pharmacy School, Building Furniture


#1 

Here is your fix of black cats for Halloween!


This is Philip & Charlie, last year, when we first brought them home.
I had to leave them behind, at my parents house...hubby doesn't want cats in our new house because they scratch everything, so now I just have an excuse to go and visit my kitties all the time!

This is how big they are now. Love them.
Their black fur is so shiny and gorgeous.

#2 

FASTING, SELF-CONTROL, and SACRIFICE

I've been eating pretty lousily (if that's a word) lately...Just constantly feeding my, what seems like, unfulfillable appetite. And I'm always hungry! I find myself stuffing my face with anything...not watching what I eat and how much. (My husband's first reaction to this was "that could only mean one thing" with a big smile on his face...thinking that I might be pregnant). That made my day. But NO, this is just my crazy, human, out-of-control appetite that the devil wants me to keep feeding. He wants me to have no control over my body and basically be under the control of his temptations.
So, THANKS, but no thanks devil.
I have already decided what I need to do to combat this!
 I need to begin to practice self-control and self-discipline, on purpose, and overcome my selfish bodily desires. I decided that I will begin the pious exercise of fasting. I'm planning on starting out just once a week, on Fridays, at least for now, since I am a beginner (I've fasted intermittently before, but very sporadically). So perfect coincidence, today is First Friday of the month. Of course, I already observe the No meat rule on first Fridays; but today, my goal is to fast for 12 hours (6am-6pm). I will only allow myself black coffee in the morning (I normally drink coffee with plenty of flavored creamer and sugar...pretty much every day...so even that will be a sacrifice in itself) and 1 piece of plain bread...just because I have a full, long day of school and I don't want to faint or get a hunger headache...since my body is not used to fasting. And we'll see how that goes. Hopefully, fasting will clear my mind of constantly thinking about the next meal and the next snack etc.
I will focus more on working hard, praying more,
and going to God for help when the battle gets tough!

#3 

Exams, exams, and more exams. 

Chemical Principles of Drug Action (or as well call it: Med Chem)  is the bane of my existence. Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it is the bane of my pharmacy school experience. It's not that it's hard, but there is just soooo much material to learn for every single exam. I usually study my butt off and get A's. If there wasn't so much material to try to cram in one night, I would probably, actually enjoy the class. I'm a science and math geek and I've always been one! So chemistry doesn't scare me...nope...it interests me. Maybe that's part of the reason why I chose pharmacy school (only a small part though). I just had an exam in med chem on Wednesday, before which I only slept 4 hours and studied the rest of the night. But hooray, I got a 92%! Here are some pictures of my notes. Just because. I like to take pictures. And I like to draw pictures. Especially chemical structures. I'm a visual learner so I really benefit from drawing and redrawing my own structures, diagrams, and tables.

Here is a little pharmacology / medicinal chemistry lesson for you!
Welcome to my world:

Antibiotics: Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) and Metronidazole (Flagyl) below.
(See all of those double bonds in a row on Nitrofurantoin? That's what makes it highly colored and discolors your urine dark brown when you're on it...so we have to warn our patients about that.)
You might have had this if you've ever had a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)

 Looks fun, doesn't it? 
Not only do we have to know how these drugs work (MOA: Mechanism of Action) and their Side Affects (ADRs: Adverse Drug Reactions), but also how they interact with other drugs, how they're absorbed (is it better orally, intravenously, topically?...which depends on whether they are hydrophillic or lipophillic), but also how they are metabolized (through liver, through kidney, or excreted unchanged in the urine/feces)...and also which specific enzymes in the liver metabolize it. Craziness I tell ya. But believe it or not, it's pretty interesting...to me anyways.


And on this page are the tetracyclines: Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Minocycline. Used for a variety of infections but commonly for UTIs, also skin infections and acne. Basically, the hydrophillic ("water-loving") ones are used for UTIs because they dissolve well in urine. On the other hand, the lipophillic/hydrophobic (love fat, hate water) ones are used for skin infections / acne...because they get into the skin very well.
 

And here is the Sorrowful Mother watching over me as I write my notes, feeling sorry for myself !!! :-)


 #4 

I got my schedule for our second-to-last quarter of classes in pharm school

Pharmacy school is 4 years.
3 of those years = classes.
Last year = Clinical/Hospital/Community Rotations aka field experience.
I am now in my 3rd and final year of classes.

That's actually a little sad to think about... Since I'm kind of a nerd and actually enjoy being in school. Maybe one day God will bring me back to school as an associate professor of pharmacy....maybe? When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a teacher when I grow up. So maybe I can be a pharmacist and teacher at the same time...just like all of our kick-ass pharmacy school professors are!


#5 

Our 7 year dating anniversary is coming up!

 Even the milk jug knows that!!!
So there is no excuse that my husband forget hahaha!
 Gets reminded every time he opens the fridge!



 #6

 Do you need help putting furniture together? 

I think I'm an expert now. My hubby and I put a massive bookcase together that takes up the whole wall in our office. And one day we bought this chair at ikea. And since hubby was busy doing other construction at the house, I decided to give it a try and put it together by myself. I figured the instructions were simple enough and had a drawing for each step...so even a not-so-handy girl could do it! And I did it! And the chair didn't fall apart yet. Introducing to you: my reading/studying chair!






#7

And if you haven't yet, go read my post on  
http://agnes1990.blogspot.com/2013/10/post-marital-bliss-trust-and-answered.html



Peace!
Mrs. Agnes

2 comments:

  1. God bless you and people like you who actually LIKE chemistry and mind-numbing names of drugs. I enjoyed your pictures, and wish you the best in keeping those A's coming. Happy anniversary... clever way to keep it on the forefront .. on the milk container. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! It just so happened that the expiration date on the milk was Nov 11 and it caught my eye! So I made a perfect reminder that is seen daily!! And yea, I know...there are these crazy people out there who like chemistry and math. They exist...and I'm one of them! :-)

      Delete