Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Layered Chicken Gyro Salad Recipe


I got the recipe from my cousin a while ago and tweaked it a bit. I made this for a party and everyone commented on how great-tasting my salad is. Recently, my hubby has been asking me to make some more, saying that he'll even do the shopping for the ingredients for me, so long as I make it for him. The good thing about this salad is is that it is pretty simple to make. It only requires cooking of the chicken, and the rest of it consists of chopping the veggies, and mixing the sauce ingredients. I'm not sure where this recipe comes from (in terms of nationality), maybe Greece, since it uses Gyros/kebab seasoning? The salad tastes great though!



INGREDIENTS

  • 3 medium-sized skinless, boneless chicken breasts (if they're large, I use about 2.5)
  • 5-6 medium-sized pickles (the ones I purchase are on the small side, so I use about 7-8...you can just eyeball it as you're chopping them up, you just need enough to make a layer / cover the layer beneath)
  • 2 medium-sized onions (again, can do 1 large, or 2-3 if small...just eyeball it)
  • 1 can of corn
  • 6 tablespoons of ketchup (Heinz all the way!)
  • 6 tablespoons of mayonnaise (Hellman's tastes the best to me)
  • 6 tablespoons of sour cream 
  • 1/2 of a Napa cabbage
  • 1 package of gyros seasoning (or gyros-kebab, which is what I use)
  • 3 tablespoons of oil
** the quantities of the ingredients also depend on the type of dish you are using. The original recipe called for a clear, square dish/pan or a round one that has an equal diameter from top to bottom....but I didn't have a tall one that could fit all the layers so I make my salad in a round bowl from ikea. That's why I had to play around with the quantities. But it's easy to figure out once you're chopping and layering. You just need enough to make a layer of each ingredient so it shows up when you look at the salad bowl from the side.


3 simple steps of prep!

  1.  Cut chicken into squares, then cook in oil until chicken is well done. Pour out the water/fat that accumulates from chicken. Mix chicken with packet of gyros seasoning and set aside to cool. 
  2.  Chop all veggies into squares and put into separate bowls
  3. Sauce: Mix 6 tbsp of each: sour cream, ketchup, and mayo together and season with pepper to taste 
And now you're ready to make layers!!!

Order of layers = chicken, pickles, onion, corn, sauce, cabbage



 1. Chicken


 2. Pickles

 3. Onion

 4. Corn

 5. Sauce

 6. Napa Cabbage




And my finished layered chicken gyro salad






 Dig in!

It tastes delicious!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Agnes


No comments:

Post a Comment