Thursday, February 13, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Valentines Day, Marriage, Baby Discerning

Thanks to Jen at ConversionDiary.com for hosting the weekly 7 Quick Takes!

#1 Here is to my first Valentine's day with my HUSBAND!

Although it's our first Valentines day as husband and wife, we decided not get each other any presents. I mean, what do you get every year for Valentines day anyways: some combination of chocolates, flowers, card, etc? We don't see a point. Also, since our 6 month-a-versary of marriage falls 3 days after V-day, we decided to just combine the occasion and go out to a nice dinner. There is this Brazilian steakhouse about 35 minutes from our house and although it's a bit pricey, I think we deserve a formal, fancy date for such a special occasion as being married 6 months and celebrating our first V-day as hubby & wife! I do my usual 10 hour shift on Saturday and won't get home until 7:30pm, so I may be a little tired, but I will try my best to look good and also be extra kind and loving to my husband. He deserves that, too.

1. “I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable.” ―G. K. Chesterton - See more at: http://www.nittygrittylove.com/10-powerful-marriage-quotes/#sthash.GyBJXr7V.dpuf
“I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable.” ―G. K. Chesterton (click to tweet) - See more at: http://www.nittygrittylove.com/10-powerful-marriage-quotes/#sthash.GyBJXr7V.dpuf
“I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable.” ―G. K. Chesterton (click to tweet) - See more at: http://www.nittygrittylove.com/10-powerful-marriage-quotes/#sthash.GyBJXr7V.dpuf
Here is one of my favorite pictures of us.
My friend took this picture while sitting on a bench opposite us in Aspen, Colorado. 
I love it because this picture reveals the true me: 
a hopeless-romantic-daydreaming-about-love-and-buried-in-thoughts-about-the-beauty-of-the-present-moment. This was almost exactly 1 year before our wedding. 
That special period of engagement was exactly that: special. It was kinda cool to refer to him as my "Fi-an-ce" - it's such a fancy word haha.
“I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable.” ―G. K. Chesterton (click to tweet) - See more at: http://www.nittygrittylove.com/10-powerful-marriage-quotes/#sthash.GyBJXr7V.dpuf
“I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable.” ―G. K. Chesterton (click to tweet) - See more at: http://www.nittygrittylove.com/10-powerful-marriage-quotes/#sthash.GyBJXr7V.dpuf


#2  LOVE-ly Living room decor

Speaking of love and being a hopeless romantic ( I guess no longer hopeless though, since I am now in a life-long romantic relationship aka marriage), how do you like my living room wall decor? This is just a quick display of our engagement session photos that I threw together a while ago. It is soon to be rearranged though because I ordered an enormous canvas picture from our wedding.


As you can tell by now, I love LOVE. I swear. I have so many things around the house with the word 'love' on them or the bible verses from Corinthians 13 (Love is Patient, Love is kind etc..). I will one day take pictures of all my LOVE-ly things and show you. 

 

#3 OMG: It's been 6 months!

And another picture of us, whose editing also reveals the [no longer hopeless] romantic in me! This one is to commemorate our 6 month-a-versary!

That's right, on March 17th, we'll be married for 6 months! 

#4 "Are you pregnant yet?" follow-up

We still qualify as newlyweds so we get those typical newlywed questions asked to us all the time by people. Although our wedding as well as the past 6 months of pure marital bliss flew by so fast - at the same time - this winter has been dragging. And dragging. And dragging. Especially now that Greg went back to working nights. 

Me: Hello God...I'm bored over here?!  
God: "Maybe it's time for a baby"
Me: "Yuuus!!!!!"
Husband: "You should probably finish up pharmacy school first or else it'll be really, really hard on you [us]."
Me: Ooookaaay, okay. But what is God's Will??? (God's Will or NOT God's Will - that is the question!)

So I don't really know what to do or if it's the right time or when will be the right time (according to God, of course). I'm just kind of waiting...and listening to my heart. But at the same time I have pregnancy and baby fever! I just melt at the sight of a pregnant belly, or cute baby pictures, or pictures of cute nurseries. Maybe that's a sign. Maybe. I'll do some more discerning. And prayer. Prayer is definitely crucial to discernment.

#5 Winter in Chi-town

Actually the burbs of chi-town. 
A short video clip I took the other Sunday while on our way back from church




#6 More home cooked meals! 

Mushroom soup with noodles
(first time making it, my mom helped me out.
It tasted aaaamazing!)
Pork in gravy, Potatoes, Green beans,
carrot salad
I have totally been rocking at this "wife" thing, I tell ya.
Hubby keeps meaning to go on a diet but can't get away from my home-cooked food!

My first time making lasagna
Chicken noodle soup.
Best meal ever for cold weather.
Warms you up instantly.
All natural: just chicken and veggies
used in cooking.

By the way...you gotta love a husband with whom the only thing you fight over is who is going to cook dinner that night...and I don't mean fighting to try to put the chore onto the other person, but fighting as in: "it was my turn to cook tonight! I had it all planned out already...whaddya mean you're already cooking?' I laughed at us when I thought about our silliness. People have more serious things to fight over....while we just kind of pretend-fight over stealing each other's cooking day and then hang up the phone and giggle. That's a blessing. Definitely better than real fighting! 

#7 Just some food for thought

Something I found as I was shuffling through my binder full of random papers.

 
Goes along well with last Sunday's gospel: 
"You are the salt of the Earth, You are the light of the world." So go out there, and give some flavor to this tasteless world, and be a light in the darkness! 

Shine baby...shine!


Love,

5 comments:

  1. I have four kids and I still obsess about God's will. I long for more but I had to have an early C section with the last and really it was too early, and he was in the NICU for 10 days, and it took me a year of massage treatment to get my body to stop hurting from all the scarring and muscles being pulled hither and yon. I only say this because as faithful Catholics we default to "God's will must = more/now" and I think sometimes we need to remember that God is a God of reason, too. So what I'm getting at is that pharmacy school is an OK thing to weight in the discernment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a painful experience. I am sure that God put you through it for a reason though. And that is a very good point that God's will does not always mean MORE or NOW.... we just have to pray and discern to see what God really wants. Not all of us are meant to have big families of 8 or so. Some people have enough crosses in their life that perhaps all they could handle is 2 or 3 kids.

      Delete
    2. And I didn't mean to undermine your experience with the birth and recovery of your 4th child. That sounds like a lot of stress and a lot of pain that you went through. I am sure that you are stronger and changed because of it though. God Bless You!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Stopped on over from Conversion Diary.

    Those meals look super yummy! Instead of fighting to cook, just send meals to ME! Lol. Happy month-a-versary (and I love that you say that- I totally do, to!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we always make too much food and end up freezing it! I make a huge pot of soup and it lasts us like 2-3 days...so we don't have to cook every single day.

      Delete